Christmas is just around the corner and no doubt you are going to be going Christmas shopping for your kids soon. Sure, you are probably going to find some clothing, DVDs, and books along the way, but there’s a good chance that you’ll be purchasing some toys for them as well. Toys definitely are a great gift to get for kids of just about any age. However, before you go out shopping for toys this Christmas there are a variety of things that you need to know.
There is no doubt that you want to keep your kids safe, but if you don’t take some time to consider carefully the toys you buy, you may be putting your kids safety on the line. Not all toys out there are safe. So, you’ll want to do everything that you can do to make sure that you pick out only the safe toys for your children. Here’s a look at some safety tips for choosing toys, toy safety once you have the toys at home, and some reasons you need to be aware of toy recall information.
Important Safety Tips When Choosing Toys
First of all, it’s important that you know some basic safety tips when you go about choosing toys for your kids this Christmas. Good toys are a great investment, they just need to be safe. Believe it or not, there are quite a few dangerous toys out there on the market. So, here are some simple tips to keep in mind that will help you make sure you purchase the safe ones.
– Tip #1- Consider the Size of the Toys – When you are considering toys this Christmas for your kids, the first thing you need to do is to consider the size of the toys. You don’t want to purchase toys that come with small parts, such as wheels, eyes, or buttons. If these parts come off, they can be swallowed. This is especially important if you happen to have kids that are under the age of four.
– Tip #2 – Take the Shape Into Consideration- The shape of the toys you choose should also be taken into consideration. Make sure that they don’t have any blunt ends or edges that are very sharp. Metal toys and glass toys should definitely be avoided. Ensure that the surfaces on the toys are smooth so that your child won’t get injured.
– Tip #3 – Find Out About Surface Safety – Find out about the safety of the surfaces before you purchase any toys this Christmas. Try to find a label that will let you know if there are any toxic substances that you need to know about. Some toys lately have been painted with paint that was toxic, and other toys often contain liquids in them that are toxic to kids if they happen to leak out.
– Tip #4 – Beware of Strings – Beware of strings when you are purchasing toys. Strings can be very dangerous to your child, especially if you have younger children. They can get wrapped up around your child’s body, and this is very dangerous, especially if the string were to get wrapped around their neck. So, it’s best to just avoid toys that have strings on them.
Keeping the Toys Safe After They’re Home
While it’s definitely important to make sure you choose safe toys, once you get them home, you need to make sure that they stay safe. Here are some simple safety tips for keeping the toys safe after they are home.
– Always Supervise Your Kids – First and foremost, you need to ensure that you are always supervising your children when they are playing with toys, especially your younger children under the age of 10. Make sure that kids have a place where they can safely play. Also, ensure that you are around to monitor them as much as you can.
– Make Sure Toys Get Put Away Properly – Always make sure that toys get put away properly. The last thing you need is for someone to trip over a toy that has been left out.
– Check the Toys to Ensure They are in Good Shape – From time to time you need to check out the toys your children have to make sure that they are in good shape. Look for rust, removable parts that are exposed, seams that are coming apart, splinters and other problems.
– Throw Away Toys that are Broken- If you happen to find some toys that have problems, then you need to throw them away to ensure that your kids don’t get hurt on them.
Be Aware of Toy Recalls this Year
Another thing that you may not have thought of is toy recalls. As you are doing your Christmas shopping, you need to be aware of the toy recalls that are going on. Don’t purchase toys that are being recalled. If you already have purchased them, then you need to take them back and get your money back or get a new item that is safe. Companies recall toys when a problem has been found that is dangerous to children. You should never ignore a recall. Before you go out shopping, you may want to take the time to find out more about the recalls that are out there. Wondering how you can find out which toys are on the recall list? Well, the best way to do so is to take a look at https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx. This site will give you a list of the most current recalls out there so you can safely purchase toys as Christmas gifts this year.